BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 31, 2010

The National "High Violet"

Our personal lives cause us to see things, hear things, and perceive things in a certain way. It directly reflects our likes and dislikes at that time. I believe this is true for most people. Why do I mention this now? I find this National album to be very steeped in emotion. When I first listened to it I just couldn't get into it. This record was not made for a passive audience. You have to be able to relate to the stories, to the singer's plight. Just throw yourself into it and let it wash over you.

My first listen only claimed "Terrible Love" as an interesting song. My second listen enlightened me to three more enjoyable songs. And so on it goes. I'm sure if you have listened to the National previously that it is easier to jump into their new album. However, for anyone giving them a shot for the first time: be patient. Allow your first listen to be entirely consumed by Matt Berninger's distinctive voice. Then you can move on and judge the music itself.

Must hear: Terrible Love

(Release Date: 5/11/10)