BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 6, 2009

Said the Whale "Islands Disappear"

Q. What's the toughest thing for bands trying to follow up their debut?
A. What else do they have to say?

Said the Whale's debut album Howe Sounds/Taking Abalonia drew me in immediately. It was my soundtrack to the winter of 2008. When I heard they had a new album on the way, needless to say, I was excited. Then the first single was released. "Camilo (The Magician)" blew me away. Uptempo, fun pop song. Then I heard the rest.

What set their debut apart? It felt like they had something to say. They never hid from their Canadian roots but there was always more to the story. This album feels like it was written on a cross-country trip. Pointing out random locations on a map. Even some of the song titles are just Canadian towns and provinces. It's difficult to relate to unless you're from there. And they just don't hook you in anywhere else. That's what makes Sufjan Stevens' Illinois work and that's what this band still needs to learn.

Must hear: Camilo (The Magician) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0bmGshhTs)

(Release Date: 10/13/09)